I know after weight loss surgery patients try to stay away from sweets, but there are ways to enjoy lower sugar options in a controlled way. I recently heard about Lily’s Dark Chocolate No Sugar Added Baking Chips. These chips are sweetened with Stevia, so are lower in sugar than regular baking chips.
Lily’s Baking Chips Per Serving: 55 calories, 4 gm Fat, 2.5 gm Saturated Fat, 8 gm Carbohydrates, 0 gm Sugar, 3 gm Erythritol, 1 gm Protein
Nestle Mini Chips Per Serving: 70 calories, 4 gm Fat, 2.5 gm Saturated Fat, 9 gm Carbohydrates, 8 gm Sugar, <1 gm Protein
I found a great and easy recipe for chocolate pudding. I substituted Lily’s chips for regular chips and used decreased the sugar by 1/2 by using Splenda. To lower the fat and calorie content I also used skim milk instead of whole milk. Serving the pudding in mini cups easily reduced your portion size.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Splenda
- 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Lily's Sweet Baking Chips
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine cornstarch, Splenda, and sugar in a small sauce pan.
- Add milk slowly, stirring to prevent clumps.
- Cook mixture over medium heat until boiling.
- Cook and continue to stir for at least 1 minute until thickened.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Continue cooking and stirring until chocolate is melted.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Place in serving bowls and chill until set.
- I placed the pudding into already baked phyllo cups. Only about 1 Tablespoon of pudding fit in each cup. This decreases your portion size and calorie intake!
- 1/2 cup serving: 142 calories, 7.2 gm Fat, 4.5 gm Saturated Fat, 20.4 gm Carbohydrates, 6.4 gm Sugar, 5.6 gm Protein.