Soft and creamy foods are better tolerated in early stages after weight loss surgery. This creamy chicken casserole with butternut squash and apples is perfect for bariatric patients to eat during their soft diet stage.
During the soft food stages, I always recommend ground meat, in particular, chicken and turkey. These proteins are soft and can be used in a variety of recipes. Chicken and turkey are also lean proteins and to lower calorie choice.
Many of my patients are able to tolerate soft vegetables and fruit during this stage. This casserole includes soft butternut squash and cooked apples. These foods do not overshadow the chicken so you will be able to consume sufficient protein.
Sauces and gravies are helpful at during the soft stage and beyond. Dry food is often not tolerated after weight loss surgery. This creamy chicken casserole uses low-fat cream soup and low-fat milk. If you don't tolerate dairy products you could use some broth and a milk alternative (although I did not test the recipe with this).
Tips to make the creamy chicken casserole:
- Ground chicken is very lean so may stick or easy brown in a saute pan. If this happens, turn down the heat or spray with olive oil spray.
- Cream soups can be high in fat and calories. Choose a low-fat option like Campbell's Healthy Request.
- If you have an intolerance to dairy you could use broth or a milk alternative.
- If you don't have frozen butternut squash you can use fresh but will have to cook the butternut squash ahead of time as it will not fully cook in this recipe.
- You can eliminate the breadcrumbs if you wish, however you should be able to tolerate them.
Creamy Chicken Casserole with Butternut Squash & Apples
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 can low-fat Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen butternut squash
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saute pan cook ground chicken until cooked through.
- Pour cream of chicken soup and milk into ground chicken and mix to combine.
- Heat chicken over medium until sauce begins to bubble.
- Add diced apple and butternut squash.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until apples soften.
- Pour creamy chicken into a baking dish.
- Spread ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top of the casserole.
- Top with ½ cup of whole wheat panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Another soft-food recipe you may enjoy:
A new twist on turkey meatballs with a hint of Thanksgiving flavor.
Items you may need to make the creamy chicken casserole (affiliate links)