Cheese sticks are a great snack that I always recommend to my patients. They can get a bit boring though. Why not jazz them up a bit?! Breaded cheese sticks will remind you of those mozzarella sticks you now stay away from (I hope). You will get all the crunch and gooey cheese without the guilt.
This recipe comes from Skinnytaste.com. I love the recipes on Skinny Taste and highly recommend the site. The mozzarella cheese sticks need to be frozen before you work with them, otherwise the cheese will ooze out before they are fully baked. Once the cheese sticks are frozen they are then coated with egg, flour, and finally crunchy bread crumbs.
The bread crumb coating is a mixture of regular bread crumbs and panko bread crumbs, which increase the crunch factor!
I baked the mozzarella sticks on foil for easier clean up. I keep an eye on them rather than timing them, because the cheese will ooze out before you know it.
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 Mozzarella Cheese Sticks part skim if you wish
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 Tablespoons of flour
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup panko crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon parmesan cheese grated
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon orgegano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Olive Oil cooking spray
- Cut cheese sticks in half.
- Place cheese sticks into freezer until frozen. I usually leave them in over night.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg.
- In a separate bowl add flour.
- In a third bowl, combine bread crumbs, panko, cheese, and spices.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or wax paper, coat with a light spray of olive oil.
- Dip cheese sticks first into flour, then into egg, and finally into crumb mixture and coat well.
- Place cheeses sticks on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place prepared cheese sticks back into the freezer for 5-10 minutes to set.
- Lightly spray cheese sticks with olive oil.
- Bake until crisp, about 8-10 minutes.
- If desired turn half way through baking.